Our partner at the national level is the American Beverage Association and they continue to find ways to get the fierce competitors to work collaboratively on matters of sustainability and recycling. In partnership with World Wildlife Fund, The Recycling Partnership and Closed Loop Partners they embarked upon a bold initiative to promote awareness and support the development of recycling infrastructure in our cities and towns with the goal of getting Every Bottle Back!
The Massachusetts Beverage Association and its members want to continue driving the message the recycling can work, especially with its bottles and cans which are 100% recyclable and represent the most valuable commodities in the waste stream.
Massachusetts is 1 of 10 states that has a bottle deposit law. Learn more about how deposit systems work.
Currently, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts is redeeming only 37.5% of the containers under the deposit system but that doesn’t mean the other 62.5% isn’t getting recycled. The vast majority of this pool of containers is being recycled through existing municipal streams, like transfer stations and curbside pickup.
In 2012 the MBA and ABA developed a program to demonstrate our commitment to public space recycling and that is called the Massachusetts Recycling Challenge. Our goal is to help communities understand best practices in municipal recycling, to fund public space infrastructure and promote awareness to encourage more recycling.
Pedestrian mall, downtown
Total bin spend: $18,750
City Center, downtown, bus stops
Total bin spend: $22,250
City downtown bus stops including central historic sites and Wollaston downtown
Total bin spend: $24,000
Bus stop in downtown
Total bin spend: $1,200
City Center downtown including city parks
Total bin spend: $22,000
Town Hall, Library, recreation parks
Total bin spend: $22,787
City Center downtown
Total bin spend: $9,100
Beach, parks, library/town hall, and bike/walking path
Total bin spend: $16,500
Beach, parks and marina
Total bin spend: $12,500 (estimate)
Cawley Stadium and park
Total bin spend: $25,000 (estimate)
MBTA - Alewife Station, two large kiosks with promotional/educational panels.
Total bin spend: $10,000
MBTA Phase 2 – Matching a grant from Cambridge Redevelopment Authority for bins at Davis, Porter, Harvard, Central and Kendall.
Total bin spend: $10,000
18 new recycling receptacles to be placed in parks throughout the city, including DW Fields Park, North JH Park, Hollister Park, Charlie Petty’s Athletic Field, and Hancock Park
Total bin spend: $19,338
Paired 18 recycling bins with existing litter collection receptacles in Town’s public parks
Total bin spend: 26,453
Take Care Cape Cod - Working in partnership CARE for the Cape and Islands and Cape Cod Anti-Litter Coalition, we collaborated on the development of some great artwork focused specifically on recycling bottles and cans.
Total membership and artwork contribution: $11,000
MRC and the ABA partnered on a digital awareness campaign that resulted in 12 million impressions and 2.2 million unique viewers, with each ad seen an average of 5.6 times by each unique viewer. Total contribution: $80,000
Cape Cod Anti-Litter Coalition – Joined in 2020 and donate $2,500 to distribute educational materials in local schools.
Working in partnership with CARE for the Cape and Islands and Cape Cod Anti-Litter Coalition, we collaborated on a digital awareness campaign that targeted visitors and local business owners on the Cape to generate awareness of recycling bottles and cans.